Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Coming home....

Yeah, it is pretty early, but I just fed little D and put him back down and wanted to take a few uninterrupted minutes to jot some more stuff down...I have a lot to catch up on.  I feel a little discombobulated with my posts and feel the need to get a little more organized.

It was a little bittersweet leaving the hospital.  We were excited to be going home but we (me mainly) were also a little nervous about going home because he was all my responsibility (OK, it was just me nervous).  I mean, I have never had a baby!  I never had to change ALL diapers!  I never had to feed him every three hours...I never had to anticipate his needs!  What if he got choked?  Got sick?  ?????  The list went on.  I will be 35 next month (less than a month) and I am not ashamed to say that I have NO idea what I am doing!  (going on 2.5 weeks later, I do feel better about everything!)

We left the hospital and while waiting on Matt to bring the car around, we got a lot of ooohs and ahhhs from onlookers.  It was so good to say, "Yes, he is mine"..."Why, thank you, we are pretty proud"..."Yes, he is my son"...Surreal but good.

He looked so tiny in his car seat.  I don't know why I didn't take a picture of him in it.  I did video us leaving and getting everything in the car though.  I'll have to post that later.

Driving home I had to hold D's little head up because he was so tiny in there (we probably can adjust it where it is more comfortable for him but he hasn't been out but like two times so I still need to figure it out). 

Mom stayed with us Saturday, Sunday & Monday.  She was a huge help.  I got so tickled at her. She truly is the Nazi Nana.  We got home and halfway got settled.  The boys (Zach, Tobey & Dexter) were all so curious and anxious (that will be another post), but we all got decently settled and I plopped my butt in the recliner after I put D in his crib. I grabbed the laptop and Zach jumped in my lap and just clung to me...you could tell he missed me!!!  Anyway, I am Facebooking and just trying to catch up and I feel these evil eyes on me.  I look up and mom is drilling a hole through me with her eyes.  I was like??? WHAT?  And, this was the conversation:

Me:  WHAT?  What are you looking at me that way?
Mom:  You have a newborn baby in the other room and you are on the computer with a dog on your lap!
Me:  Mom, Dawson is asleep and I have his baby monitor right here...what do you want me to do go in there and stare at him while he sleeps?
Mom:  Well, YES!  And, in fact, I will just do it. 

And, she did.  She marched her rear end into our bedroom and actually stood over his crib and watched him sleep.  I don't know how long she stood there but it was quite awhile.

Anyway, I thought that was funny. 

Overall, the kid does NOT cry.  He just whimpers when he wants to eat (or if you wait too long he will get pretty fussy) but he cries when you change him or change his clothes.  Other than that...no crying.  I am so very blessed.

He is so sweet and he loves to snuggle.  He will just burrow down on your chest and snuggle.  I LOVE IT.

More home stories to come later...but that was at least his first night.


Just Jiff said...

awww! So sweet! I didn't take a photo of Bayley, either. I didn't think about it.

I stared at Bayley sleeping a lot, and she's 2.5 now and I STILL do. Those newborn snuggles are the best. :)

Liz said...